Thursday 6 October 2011

Car Craze !!!

I still remember the day I got my first car. For a long time, I have been thinking about getting a car, but never got the guts or the money to do so. Even when I had the money, I was not sure if I should buy a new car or a used one. Finally, when I had the money and the guts, I got one. A Maruti Alto. A new one and my dream car.

But there was a problem. Though I held a valid driver’s license, I had never driven a car by myself. So now... how do I get my car from the showroom to my house? A friend in need is a friend in deed. So I asked my friend to drop the car off at my house. He did... a good friend :).


Now starts the real fun... so I wanted a car and I got it now... what next? I stay in an apartment and to get the car out of the parking lot without a scratch requires more than guts. Anyways... it took me about 20 minutes to get the car out of the apartment. All thanks to my navigator (my dad). He was the one who had guided me my whole life... and here he was, guiding me to take my car off the parking lot. So after 20 minutes, I got my car out... Not a single scratch... yaaahhhoooooo...........


After this more fun started... I had lot of difficulty in shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. (Indian cars normally come with a manual gear system). Every 10 minutes, the car stopped... (Actually, I did not realize that I was removing my leg from the clutch too quickly). Since this was not working wonders for me... I decided to call it a day.


A week later, when I got some more guts, I called upon a driving trainer to teach me to drive my own car for a few extra bucks. The guy agreed and there I was in about 20 minutes driving my car with more confidence. My dad was sitting behind and giving me his regular piece of confidence speech. Man... I love him... He is a real role model for me and has taught me how to handle every situation that one can think off.


Anyways... back to my car and my driving. So that day with my dad and this trainer with me... I drove for about 20 minutes in the nearby lanes. If any of you have not seen the traffic in Bangalore. It looks like a full battalion of Roman army running for dear life. (No offence meant of the Roman army). A 2 lane road has 2 cars, an auto rickshaw and 2 motorcycles next to each other. The average distance between cars in Bangalore traffic is about 15 inches on all sides. Sometimes, it is lesser.


So, after 20 minutes of driving, I was little more confident about driving. So the same day, post lunch, me and my dad set out on a driving mission. To me that was like MI2. With some difficulty I got the car out of the parking lot and drove for about an hour. As time went on... I felt more confident.
It has been over 3 years now since I got my first car. I still use it and love driving it. A bon voyage to myself :)

5 comments:

  1. Good post. Even I had the same problem when I got my 1st car. Those days,I always had a special attraction towards the road side ditch. People had to pull me and my car out. Not just 1nce, 3ice!

    "battalion of Roman army running for dear life". That was a nice usage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of same here as well, though dint specify the details...Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice driving expertise. very well stated. this reminds me, my son having his intial take on driving at 18 yrs of age. me sitting besides him two months ago. he had just taken learner's license, and 18 yrs, of age. while ascending a steep drive in at a mall, there was another stationary car waiting to move. and at our back too another car lurking to get in. My son couldn't control and car started skidding back, and the guy at back honking like hell. I put the handbrakes, and told myson to tell the guy honking to come up, and save his car himself by driving our car properly.
    I did not want any scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually in such cases we get to have ideas that are throughout appreciable and help us with so much which is the way how its all existing for me kia vin checker is pretty decent and that's the manner how i talk of it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be one of those things that everyone loves going through because first car is like no other thing Scion VIN Decoder helps me with the maximum of needs and that's the way things has to be working in it.

    ReplyDelete